Friday 6 February 2015

Buddhism is a Religion:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/americanbuddhist/2014/04/buddhism-is-a-religion-a-guest-post-by-dr-david-brazier-dharmavidya.html

Buddhism is a Religion:


Editor’s note: It is a great honour to introduce this essay by Dharmavidya, Dr. David Brazier. As regular readers will know, I am interested in the question of concepts and how they are used in our study of things (or processes?) like Buddhism. When we call Buddhism a “philosophy”, what does that mean? Well, what do we mean by “philosophy” and what do we mean by “Buddhism”? I explored the question last fall in Buddhism: religion or philosophy? and returned to some of the central issues in my recent post about the Owen Flanagan talk, the Stephen Batchelor and Ajahn Brahmali debate, and the first week of Buddhism and Modern Psychology course. This piece challenges a lot of the lean I often have toward Buddhism as a philosophy, or perhaps rather complements that lean with an appropriate lean in the opposite direction, toward all of the things and people I sometimes look past an around in my search for the meanings of Buddhist terms and concepts. So, without further adieu, I give you, Buddhism is a Religion:

No comments:

Post a Comment